Re: Textarea problem

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Sam - fluffyland.com wrote:

> I suggest that the XHTML validator is changed
> so that text within a textarea does not apply..

There is no such thing as XHTML validator. There is a markup validator,
which you may use for validating documents that use an XHTML doctype.

>if I have textareas on
>my page, for example, it says that the a href tag cannot appear there.

If the validator were changed that way, it would not be a validator any
more.

You can yourself create a document type definition that allows elements
(markup) inside a textarea element, and validate against it. I don't know
what this could be good for, but maybe you have some application in your
mind. Throwing such markup at poor little Web browsers would give
unpredictable results.

> Thank you for such a wonderful resource!

Unfortunately it seems that you have completely misunderstood what a
validator is and what it does; for a short explanation (well, not very
short; it's not as short as possible, but probably shorter), see
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html