Re: Empty lists (was [VE][73] New Error Message Suggestion)

On 2 Jun 2004, at 10:52, Martin Koníček wrote:
> 370: <ul>
>
> 371: </ul>
>
> Line 371, column 4: end tag for "ul" which is not finished

This is a bug in your code, not the validator. You cannot have an empty
list.

> But <ul> is finished correctly, I thing you expect

Correct.

> , but in some time you have no data on dynamic page

Then you should test for that situation and not produce a list at all
if there are no list items.

If you think the next version of the XHTML specification should allow
empty lists then the proper place to raise the issue is the www-html
mailing list <http://lists.w3.org/> (as it is an issue with the (X)HTML
language, not the validator), after searching the archives to see any
previous discussion on the subject.

You don't appear to have made a new error message suggestion, please
use more appropriate subject lines in future. Thank-you.

--
David Dorward
      <http://dorward.me.uk/>