Problem with long URL?

From: Jon Hill <jon.hill@glg.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:30:08 +0100
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

Dear all,

I have validated my site using the validator with HTML 4.01 transitional.
I'm having problems validating pages that contain large amounts of data in
the URL.

The following URL is for a page that validates fine.

This page does not validate due to ampersand in a URL - however, the URL
that is causing the error does not exist!

Line 93, column 70: cannot generate system identifier for general entity

The only difference in these two pages is the amount of information being
passed via the URL - the php code used to generate them is identical and
I've downloaded the source from the browser (i.e. what the validator sees)
and scanned it for text fragments in the above error (i.e.
index.php?page=2). The error report does not occur anywhere.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before and is there any work-around? Is it
due to the empty variables perhaps?

Thanks in advance for your help

Best regards