Re: No chalenge response when subscribing -- abuse possible

From: Jonathan Berry <jberry@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:08:13 -0800
To: www-validator@w3.org

>By emailing www-validator-request@w3.org with "subscribe" in the subject
>and my from address I was added to the list.  Is it not possible to have
>challenge response to confirm my email address?  Someone could abuse
>this present lack of verification.
>
>Kind regards
>
>JG

It *could* happen, but I would do nothing unless it does
happen, a few times.  There are lots of other ways
a miscreant can misuse an email address.  The list's
welcoming email contains info on how to unsubscribe.

OTOH, I think it IS a good idea to challenge the first
posting to the group, as is done now, because posting
puts your email address out there on the internet and
thus subject to spamming.

--
happy
Jonathan Berry and Erika http://www.islandnet.com/~jberry/fun.htm