Re: Validator to warn about proprietary files embedded into webpages?

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:55:18 +0100
To: "J. Grant" <jg@jguk.org>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 12:07, J. Grant wrote:
> I wonder if it would be considered a good thing to warn about
> proprietary files embedded into web pages?

> Last time I checked Macromedia Shockwave Flash was not in
> the W3C standards..

While it might be good, such a task is beyond the scope of the
validator.

I believe one of the WCAG checkpoints covers using non-w3c technologies,
so this might be within the scope of a WCAG checker. I don't believe
there are any W3C errors to produce such a tool at this time (although
there are a number of third party tools). Such a tool could make efforts
to detect the use of non-W3C technologies (like Flash and GIF)

> I am continually seeing Macromedia Shockwave Flash files embedded
> and then reciving error popups at present.

You could try using a browser which ignores unknown <object>s instead of
prompting you to install the needed software.

--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>