Re: [VE][123] Error Message Feedback

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 04:03:27 +0200
To: <rfarrell@bizcomgroup.com>
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>

* Richard Farrell wrote:
>re: http://www.eoutletcenter.com/stores/allposters.htm
>
>Microsoft FrontPage 2002 causes the following validation error when using
>shared borders for web pages:
>Line 14, column 21: value of attribute "NAME" must be a single token
>
>Is this a true error that will prevent proper 4.01 Transitional / Loose
>processing?  Is there a validation work-around?

Yes, this is a true error. There is no work-around other than removing
it. It would also be possible to change the document type to XHTML 1.0
which "incorrectly" [1] allows this, but I am told that Frontpage would
change the syntax of this very element back to HTML syntax, so there
aren't really alternatives. It is not necessary to include this element
in the published web site...

[1] Several people reported this to the HTML WG which considered the
    specification in error in this regard, but it did not change the
    content model in the revised XHTML 1.0 specification and according
    to http://www.w3.org/2002/08/REC-xhtml1-20020801-errata/ there are
    no known errors in the specification, which is factually false, but
    well...