Re: XHTML validation

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Cary Bush wrote:

> I have just completed a Japanese Web site using CHARSET=x-sjis and tried to
> validate via http://validator.w3.org/

You should use shift_jis, which is listed as an option in the validator's
extended interface, hence presumably supported by the validator.

And shift_jis is the standardized name for the encoding. Any encoding name
that begins by x- is by definition nonstandard, to be used by private
agreements only.

The authoritative list of encoding (or "charset") names is the IANA list
at http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets
I've composed an alphabetically ordered list from it:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/sorted.html

I didn't find an explicit list of the encoding names recognized by
the W3C validator, but the list of options in the select element at
http://validator.w3.org/detailed.html might be expected to list the
recognized and supported names, and only them.

> It does not validate as it goes beyond the coding into the content.

Pardon? I can't see what you mean by that.

Please specify the URL if problems remain. Also specify how you used the
validator - the extended interface lets you specify the encoding manually,
which is useful if your server does not send an adequate Content-Type
header that specifies the encoding.