Re: Empty <script> bug (XHTML documents) ->IE6 bug

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

>>> Unfortunately that's not what the specification says, if that's what
>>> they mean they need to clarify the specification, but then we know
>>> that already.
>>
>> Indeed, the specification doesn't say anything at all.
>>
>> What would you suggest UAs should do?
>
> Their best effort at understanding it

Obviously. I mean, what solution would you have here.

> that's always what I expect user agents to do, it's clearly broken, but
> it's the spec that's broken, any individual UA's error correction that
> get something meaningful is to be applauded, but equally those that
> don't can't be complained about too loudly.

What is wrong with the current behaviour, other than the fact that it
doesn't implement NET SHORTTAG?

Note that trying to parse <foo/> as an empty element breaks a large number
of sites that expect this to be treated the same as <foo>.