Re: Empty <script> bug (XHTML documents) ->IE6 bug

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

>>> this is valid
>>
>> well, this is valid for XHTML 1.0, for mozilla 1.5 but
>> Internet Explorer 6 would render an empty page with a JS error
>> because it can't find a closing </script> even if <script ends with />
>
> I believe this is a bug in Mozilla 1.5, if you're serving it as text/html.

The HTML WG has stated that UAs should treat all text/html content as
legacy HTML content (aka Tag Soup):

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2000Sep/0024.html

It would actually be impossible to do otherwise, anyway, as discussed in
the section titled "Why UAs can't handle XHTML sent as text/html as XML"
of:

   http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

Arguably, it's a bug in the validator, which should (according to the HTML
WG) be treating anything sent as text/html, as HTML, and not as XHTML.

>> grrr, sending a bomb to redmond
>
> The problem is XHTML's, Please direct your complaints to the XHTML Working
> Group, particularly request that they actually respond to the related
> issues.

And in particular that they stop saying XHTML is "compatible" with HTML.
Grr. See "The Myth of "HTML-compatible XHTML 1.0 documents" in that same
document cited above.