Re: Empty <script> bug (XHTML documents) ->IE6 bug

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:25:03 +0000 (UTC)
To: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
>>> this is valid
>> well, this is valid for XHTML 1.0, for mozilla 1.5 but
>> Internet Explorer 6 would render an empty page with a JS error
>> because it can't find a closing </script> even if <script ends with />
> I believe this is a bug in Mozilla 1.5, if you're serving it as text/html.

The HTML WG has stated that UAs should treat all text/html content as
legacy HTML content (aka Tag Soup):

It would actually be impossible to do otherwise, anyway, as discussed in
the section titled "Why UAs can't handle XHTML sent as text/html as XML"

Arguably, it's a bug in the validator, which should (according to the HTML
WG) be treating anything sent as text/html, as HTML, and not as XHTML.

>> grrr, sending a bomb to redmond
> The problem is XHTML's, Please direct your complaints to the XHTML Working
> Group, particularly request that they actually respond to the related
> issues.

And in particular that they stop saying XHTML is "compatible" with HTML.
Grr. See "The Myth of "HTML-compatible XHTML 1.0 documents" in that same
document cited above.