Suggestion for webmaster: show 'what & why' info

From: James Harvard <james.harvard@harvard-digital.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:55:45 +0000
To: www-validator@w3.org

I try to spread the word of standards-compliance by putting W3C 'validated' icons on my web sites, but it occurs to me that a 'normal' visitor (such as a potential client) activating the link to validator.w3.org/check/referer would probably be none the wiser afterwards.

To be honest, a link to a developer tool like the validator is really of no more use or interest to an average web user than say a link to the XHTML specifications!

Can I suggest that you have some 'what & why' information at the top of the "valid" page?  There could be some text like that at the top of the home page to explain _what_ the site is, and a few words about _why_ web standards are worth worrying about (or just a link to an existing resource like <http://www.webstandards.org/learn/faq/>).

In the longer term maybe there could be a separate 'newbie' validation result page that the /check/referer URL redirects to.  The content of the new page would be specifically written for the casual, non-technically-minded visitor - this would all help the web standards to gain 'mind-share'.

Best regards,
James Harvard