Re: Bad link to HTML Tidy on validator.w3.org

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:52:19 +0000 (GMT)
To: David Balazic <david.balazic@hermes.si>
Cc: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, David Balazic wrote:

> On http://validator.w3.org/about.html,
> under section "Online Tools & Other Validators",
> there is a link named  "web interface to tidy" pointing to
> http://valet.webthing.com/tidy/

It also takes you to an error page that invites you to ask if you'd
like to see [anything that's been removed] restored.  Any such requests
would come to me, and I haven't had them.

That online frontend to tidy was a hack that's out-of-date and not
easy to maintain (because it depended on libg++, which is not maintained
and is hard to use on any gcc more recent than 2.7.x).   I had an idea
I'd seen other online frontends to it too.

Would people strongly like to see it restored?  I could probably
reproduce what was there with Perl CGI in a few hours hacking,
and get rid of the libg++ dependency at the expense of a bit
less performance.  If not, let's just dispense with that link.

--
Nick Kew