Re: UKUUG Website query

From: Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:53:26 +0000
To: Charles Curran <Charles.Curran@ukuug.org>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org, webmaster@ukuug.org

Hi Charles,

> > I thought you may like to know that some of the pages display
> > incorrectly in my browser;  the title isn't shown correctly.
> >
> >    http://www.ukuug.org/bios+profiles/JField.shtml
>
> Thanks, Ralph, I shall look at that later.
>
> Generally, we do check our pages with the W3 validator
> which, strangely, showed this one as OK --
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ukuug.org%2Fbios%2Bprofiles%2FJField.shtml

I agree, validator declares `This Page Is Valid HTML 4.01
Transitional!' despite the title entity containing a comment which is
not allowed according to

    http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/struct/global.html#edef-TITLE

    "Titles may contain character entities (for accented characters,
    special characters, etc.), but may not contain other markup
    (including comments)."

Perhaps validator justs thinks the comment is ordinary title text for
display, as does the galeon browser, but in that case I'm surprised it
doesn't warn that `<', etc., should be encoded using character entities.

I've cc'd the validator list to see if they've a view.  Can people
please cc us on replies since we're not subscribed.

Cheers,

Ralph.