Unescaped XML Ampersands Incorrectly Validated

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:22:58 +0000
To: www-validator@w3.org

This is not well-formed, but the validator passes it:

The issue is that there is an unescaped ampersand "&" in the source
which is not being detected.

This issue was originally noted here:

Masayasu Ishikawa commented:

This is one of known limitations in SP-derived SGML/XML parsers.
"Real" XML processors can easily catch this kind of fatal error,
e.g. the CSS Validator does catch such error.

Further IRC discussion:

<xover> Uhm. What's the problem?
<xover> The unescaped amperstand?
<xover> That's an artifical constraint imposed only by the prose of
   the XML REC and inexpressible in a DTD or SGML AFAICT.
<xover> And since OpenSP doesn't allow us to treat it as an error, we
   do the best we can by emitting a warning instead.
<sbp> nontheless, it's a constraint
<deltab> um, what is?
<sbp> ampersands must be escaped as &amp; in XML PCDATA
<deltab> yes, as they must anywhere
<xover> "anywhere" (almost) in XML. Not in SGML.
<deltab> where not in SGML?
<xover> SGML allows the & to appear bare anywhere it is unambigious.
- Swhack, 2004-02-29 21:00

Please let me know whether this is appropriate enough a bug to enter
into the database at <http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/>. (It would also
be appreciated if the validator.w3.org feedback page were more
bug-report oriented!)

Sean B. Palmer, <http://purl.org/net/sbp/>
"phenomicity by the bucketful" - http://miscoranda.com/