Re: Character encoding problems with v0.6.5 Beta #1

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 06:53:12 +0100
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>

>* Nicolas Roeser wrote:
>>I found that my local installation behaves different from the online
>>version at <URL:http://validator.w3.org:8001/>. If I set the character
>>encoding to "us-ascii" and try to validate a document which contains
>>characters which are *not* in US-ASCII, my local installation seems to
>>"hang" (i.e. perl does not exit).
>When in doubt I'd blame your version of iconv, try upgrading (or
>downgrading if you are using the latest) your libiconv.

On a system using the glibc embedded libiconv I do not reccomend independantly
updating libiconv (even though it's possible since glibc supports pluggable
libiconvs). There are just too many pitfals and subtle problems you can run
into by doing this.

To debug a suspected hang related to iconv and the Validator, you can try to
modify the code to print debugging messages around the relevant system calls.
All iconv useage is confined to a single subroutine and a good first step to
determining if this is the problem would be to add a warn() call at enter and
exit for this subroutine (search for Iconv to find the right sub).

- --
>For all I know they probably have a standard for
>which direction to put the thread on a bolt.

That would be ISO 261:1973.         -- John Cowan

Version: PGP SDK 3.0.3