meta tags in XHTML 1.0 validation

From: Christopher G D Tipper <chris.tipper@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:36:31 -0000
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

recently my pages have stopped validating. I use XSLT to generate meta tags, for example

    <xsl:element name="meta">
         <xsl:attribute name="name">author</xsl:attribute>
         <xsl:attribute name="content">
             <xsl:call-template name="authorname"/>

This produces <meta name=".." content=".."></meta> This is now flagged as not XHTML 1.0 compliant.

I have no control over the XSLT processors interpretation. Isn't the validator technically wrong to discriminate tags on this basis?

Christopher Tipper
  “Since light travels faster than sound, isn’t that why
   some people appear bright until you hear them speak”
                                          — Steve Wright