Re: Provide Mail Archive Links and Improved Default E-Mail Subjects

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:21:52 +0900
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@iinet.net.au>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

Hello Lachlan, all.

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Hi,
>   Considering the amount of repetition recieved on this list with
> people having problems with the same error messages, I think it would be
> useful to provide a link from each error message, to a search for
> e-mails relating to the same error.

I agree that the current "interface" has pretty much reached its limits.
I would like to add warnings that the messages are going to a public
list (people figure that out eventually when challenged by the archive
approval system), always mention the URI of the document validated, etc.

But that is hardly possible within the current validation results pages,
so we had decided (a while ago already) to have the feedback icon
actually link to a form-based service rather than a simple mailto:.

I have started work on the forms, I'll integrate the many good ideas
from your mail.

Thanks.

--
olivier