Re: Embed tag

On  5 Dec 2004, Major Payne wrote:

> How much longer will it be before the W3C approves the 'embed' tag?

I'm not the W3C but I would make a guess at "when hell freezes over" or
thereabouts. This is old, old stuff.

> Have searched the Web and noticed that there are a lot of people trying
> to validate their pages but can not because of the 'embed' tag.  It
> seems all browsers have 'their' own idea on how to use this tag as well
> as to how the page displays player window.  We need to all come together
> on this stuff.

You already don't need the <embed> tag, and you are going to need it less
and less as time goes by.

If you disagree and have some decent reasoning, I suggest you contact the
HTML Working Group and set it out. (Incidentally, "because crap ancient
browser X requires it to load crap proprietary content type Y" is unlikely
to get you taken seriously). You should probably search the web first
though, as I'm sure this issue was thrashed out comprehensively a *long*
time ago. You are not the first to go through the thought process you're
currently experiencing, by a long way. In particular, adding the redundant
and never-standard <embed> which duplicates standard functionality that
has existed in HTML for many years is highly unlikely to represent any
kind of "coming together".

In the meantime, review the HTML manual with respect to the <object>
element.

In any case, this is the public *validator* list and since the validator
is validating correctly there's not much more to be said. If you really
want to validate your documents with this pointless and non-standard
content, create your own DTD with the <embed> element in and then you can
validate your documents against it.

Tim