Re: Frontpage 2002 incompatibility

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 14:18:12 +0000
To: Ed Isenberg <EdPublic@isenberg-family.net>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 09:17:41AM -0700, Ed Isenberg wrote:
>    I am using Frontpage 2002 to create web pages, and obviously I must add a
>    DocType section at the very beginning in order to have the validator check
>    it. That isn't a problem. What is a problem is the numerous errors:
>            "end tag [whatever] omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified"
>    which happens all the time because Frontpage uses a ">" to end a tag
>    rather than a "/>"

Ending a tag with /> is XHTML syntax. Use an HTML Doctype if you are
writing HTML.

>    While I understand that the purpose of the validator is to be strict and
>    require compliant code, if it is so strict as to make it unusable with
>    popular web site creation packages like Frontpage, then people will just
>    stop validating it.

... or complain to the software author until they produce a product
which produces the desired markup or switch to a better product.

Ignoring syntax errors just becuase bad software makes mistakes would
render the use of the validator pointless.