Re: [VE][81] Error Message Feedback

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:10:00 +0300 (EEST)
To: Jesper <jesper@nitrolic.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Jesper wrote:

> <PARAM NAME="movie"
> VALUE="tags3x_vl.swf?tarframe=_self"&amp;"exbackground=0066FF"
> the & sign is teasing me, your Validator says:
> Line 57, column 56: character "&" not allowed in attribute specification
> list

That describes the error from a technical point of view - the quotation
mark before & terminates the attribute value.

> I tried without "&amp;" and everything I could think of.

What do you want the attribute value to be? If
then use
i.e. your current markup without the inner quotation marks.

If the value should be
(i.e., with the ampersand inside quotation marks), then use
or alternatively
since a quotation mark must not appear as such inside an attribute value
delimited by quotation marks, but you can either write it as the
entity reference &quot; or use apostrophes as delimiters.