Re: Validation with HTML 4.01 Strict and Transitional

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 phboe-w3c@yahoo.de wrote:

> I remarked, that the html validator accepted a page as valid in HTML 4.01 Strict and also
> Transitional even though it hadn't the closing body and html tags at the end.

I may have missed that message, and it does not appear to be in the
archives either.

Anyway, the situation is simple: in HTML 4.01, the end tags </body> and

> When I used HTML 4.01 Frameset the validator told me, that it had arrived at the end of the page
> and was missing the closing tags.

Hard to tell what happened, since you don't specify a URL that would
demonstrate what you really tried.

> To reproduce this bug:

It's nowhere near a bug.

If you wish to make the closing tags obligatory, write a modified DTD, or
(to be impractical) convert your document into XHTML.