Re: [VE][107] Error Message Feedback

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:04:56 +0100 (BST)
To: James Leek <jim.leek@admin.ox.ac.uk>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, James Leek wrote:

> Line 39, column 17: the name and VI delimiter can be omitted from
> an attribute specification only if SHORTTAG YES is specified

That's an SGML abbreviated form that's not supported in XML.

> <option selected value="4">Brands Hatch - 02/09/2003</option>

... which you just used.  That's fine as HTML, but in XML (and hence
XHTML) all attributes have to be given in full as attribute="value".
So the bare word "selected" isn't allowed.

> Unfortunately this means nothing to me, and I can also find nothing
> about this on the W3C site. Even a search for "VI delimiter" yields
> nothing.

a search for SHORTTAGs would turn up some more surprising things :-)

Folks - that error message really is unhelpful.  Time for another
prod in the direction of Liam's and/or my updates?

--
Nick Kew