Problem with Internet Explorer on XP with SP2 installed

From: Jon Warbrick <jw35@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:31:16 +0100 (BST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

On a number of XP machines on which we've loaded SP2 we've discovered that
Internet Explorer seems now to upload files ending '.htm' or .'html' (at
least) with a MIME-type of 'text/plain' rather than 'text/html'.

If our analysis is correct then this is clearly an IE bug (or 'new
Microsoft defined standard') but it does cause problems for anyone using
'Validate by File Upload' since the validator declines to process what it
sees as a 'text/plain' document. Using a different browser is an obvious
workaround.

I mention this here only in an attempt to save everyone else from having
to go round the same loop of investigating reports that 'the validator has
stopped working'!

Jon.

--
Jon Warbrick
Web/News Development, Computing Service, University of Cambridge