Re: Validation error

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Julien_=C9LIE?= wrote:

(attribution line intentionally left as is, see below)

>> In practical terms, ISO-8859-15 is useless on the Web.
>> Most browsers don't support it, and anything you can do in
>> ISO-8859-15 can be done easily using ISO-8859-1 and a few
>> character references (and, if desired, the entity reference
>> €).

> Yes, you are right. In fact, I use ISO-8859-15 because I am
> used to it in mails (for French characters). But as you
> mention it, entities can be used in HTML pages, so it is
> better for compatibility to use ISO-8859-1.

You could also use windows-1252 instead of 8859-15, if you
_really_ need more than "only" Latin-1.  That's generally not
true for the From: address in mail and news, you could simply
configure your name as "ASCII" =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Julien_=C9LIE?=
(just replace 15 by 1)

> When you say « most browsers », which ones do you speak
> about ?

My Netscape 3.x has no 8859-15, but it can display windows-1252.

For the reasons mentioned by Jukka that's only accidentally so,
but as soon as you declare windows-1252 as what it is it would
be valid and still work.

> By the way, if ISO-8859-15 is not supported, do not they
> switch to ISO-8859-1 ?

They "switch" to windows-1252 even if they don't know it. ;-)
E.g. my Netscape 3.x used as newsreader displays your...

| « most browsers »

...correctly.  No idea why this works in the body but not in
the headers.  This reply will be sent as Latin-1 because my
browser does not really know what it's doing.  But fortuately
it works for « and » (not for Euro etc., but I could still fix
the Content-Type manually, windows-1252 instead of iso-8859-1).

BTW, in (X)HTML declaring windows-1252 as windows-1252 is the
_only_ way to make the "critical" characters like Euro visible
with legacy software.  Netscape 3.x has no UTf-8, no € and
no €  It "has" € and that is always invalid.  But if
you use the raw octet 128 with document charset windows-1252,
then it works and is valid (X)HTML.  It took me about two years
to understand this simple problem... ;-)
                                        Bye, Frank