Re: checklink: Cannot access ASP files linked on webpage being checked

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:31:39 +0100
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: MCM <Orders1900@Comcast.net>

On 10 Aug 2004, at 17:02, MCM wrote:
> http://www.mcgoodwin.net/sitemap.asp
>     What to do: The link is forbidden! This needs fixing. Usual
> suspects: a missing index.html or Overview.html, or a missing ACL.
>     Response status code: 403
>     Response message: Forbidden

Well, the usual cause for this (at least that is what I misremembered,
checklink now explicitly states robots.txt issues) is that your
robots.txt blocks it. So I tried to download your robots.txt too look
at it.

For some reason this caused your server to seen a 200 response code
('OK') along with an HTML document containing a 404 message. You should
probably fix this.

Anyway, if we try to make a request to that URI (lines starting with a
%% are ones I typed. The %% should not be typed, or appear at all) ...

%%telnet www.mcgoodwin.net 80
Trying 66.148.48.228...
Connected to 66.148.48.228.
Escape character is '^]'.
%%HEAD /sitemap.asp HTTP/1.1
%%host: www.mcgoodwin.net

HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:29:10 GMT
Connection: close

After some more fiddling I tracked it down to the HEAD request. For
some reason only GET requests are allowed for the sitemap. You should
probably fix that.
--
David Dorward
      <http://dorward.me.uk/>