Re: URI vs URL and long list of pedantic gramatical quibbles with the static pages

Ville Skyttä wrote:

> > Possible bug report - "URL" is underlined, my cursor has a question mark
> > attached to it when I mouse over it but nothing happens when I click it
> > (Mozilla/WamCom 1.3.1 for Mac OS9).
>
> This, and the "double underlining"s are <abbr title"foo"> elements, and
> the "foo" usually renders as a tooltip in browsers when one hovers the
> mouse some time over it.  With the browsers I've tried, these <abbr>'s
> render so that it is pretty clear (well, to me, that is) that they're
> not clickable links.  See attachment, that's from Mozilla Firefox 0.8 on
> Linux.  Could you post a screenshot how your browser renders them?

Sorry about taing a while to post these screenshots, been a bit busy at work...

http://www.abe11.dial.pipex.com/W3Ctestarea/mozwamcom1.3mac.gif
which it looks like 2 links, one to "Writing html in a" and one to "Element"

http://www.abe11.dial.pipex.com/W3Ctestarea/mozwamcom1.3macmouseover.gif
is what happens when I mouseover the double underlined section. I'm
reasonably sure that mouseover tooltips are possible with this browser,
but I can't find any examples to compare code for at the moment.

Since you might not know about WamCom (I did't until a few weeks back),
Mozilla dropped support for Mac OS 9 at about version 1.2, going OSX
only. WamCom is a port of mozilla 1.3.1 which includes many useful
fixes/features not found on the final official Mozilla release, which
makes it probably the nicest browser us OS9 users are ever going to get.

Oh, I've also had a look at "http://validator.w3.org:8001/source/"
(which wasn't linked) and found no flaws, however my eyes did start to
glaze over after about the 6th undefined acronym, and by the 3rd code
fragment in a language I don't know I got a bit lost ;-)

Finally, regarding URL vs URI, I suggest consistency between the 2 uses,
and a link to a definition of URI if URI is what you standardise on.

- Andy_R