Re: URI vs URL and long list of pedantic gramatical quibbles with the static pages

Andrew,

Thanks a lot for your thorough review of style and documentation.
Ville already fixed a few of the mistakes you pointed out, I did
another pass, and hope I didn't forget anything.

On Apr 29, 2004, at 08:47, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> I'll be the first to admit I have no idea what the difference between a
> URI and a URL

URI is "universal resource identifier" and everyone knows URL is
"Universal Republic of Love".

> The image top right of all pages extends 1 pixel below the line at the
> bottom, which looks like a mistake (IE and Mozilla)

Fixed, thanks.

> Looking at "http://validator.w3.org:8001/about.html":
>
> Is there a reason that Recommendations has a capital "R" in the first
> sentence, but "standards" does not?

Yes, basically, a W3C convention.
from the W3C Manual of style:
http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#Case

> - I suggest "result was almost certainly" to replace "results were
> certainly".

Looks good, thanks.

> further down... "As for every language, those have their own grammar,
> vocabulary  and syntax," should be "these" not "those" to be
> consistent?

You must be right.

> Lastly the "download" page is still formatted in the old 'no banana
> skin' style.

I think it is because the link points to the :80 (and not :8001)
instance of the validator, which has the old layout and style. The
reason behind this choice is that you want local installations (i.e not
at W3C) to point to the actual download location.

But http://validator.w3.org:8001/source/ appears to have the same
banana skin as the rest of the pages. And for the record, these
malaysian bananas are quite tasty.

Thank you,
--
olivier