Re: URI vs URL and long list of pedantic gramatical quibbles with the static pages

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:28:41 +0300
To: www-validator@w3.org
On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 02:47, Andrew Robinson wrote:

Hi Andrew, comments to some entries from your list below.  I'd suggest
filing the rest to http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/ so they won't fall
through the cracks...

> Possible bug report - "URL" is underlined, my cursor has a question mark
> attached to it when I mouse over it but nothing happens when I click it
> (Mozilla/WamCom 1.3.1 for Mac OS9).

This, and the "double underlining"s are <abbr title"foo"> elements, and
the "foo" usually renders as a tooltip in browsers when one hovers the
mouse some time over it.  With the browsers I've tried, these <abbr>'s
render so that it is pretty clear (well, to me, that is) that they're
not clickable links.  See attachment, that's from Mozilla Firefox 0.8 on
Linux.  Could you post a screenshot how your browser renders them?

> The 3 lines
> "If your page doesn't validate, and you don't know why, or you have a
> question about HTML  or validation"
> "If you are interested in helping to improve this service, by writing
> code or just providing ideas,"
> and
> "If you want to report a bug or log a feature request." should finish in
> a consistent manner, at the moment one finishes with a comma, one with a
> period, an one unadorned. Shouldn't they all finish with colons?

Agreed, fixed in CVS.

> Gramatically, the section that reads "(If you are commenting on a
> specific page, be sure to provide a URL  when you ask your question!)"
> should either not be in brackets, or it should be before the period that
> ends the previous sentence.

Fixed in CVS (parens removed).

> In "http://validator.w3.org:8001/docs/help.html":

(In addition to the issues below, fixed some more typos in help.html
while at it.)

> In the "don't panic" section "aa" should read "a"

Fixed in CVS.

> "The Markup Validator is Maintained at W3C by W3C staff and benevolent
> collaborators, who receive a lot of help from contributors. (Read the
> full credits)" has the bracketed section outside the sentence too.

Fixed in CVS.

> In the 2nd paragraph under the heading "/check/referer does not work..."
> the word "os" appears. It probably shouldn't!

Changed to "is" in CVS.

Thanks for the feedback!

abbr.png
(image/png attachment: abbr.png)