Re: http://validator.w3.org/check/referer

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:30:21 +0100
To: Włodzimierz Kubera <wlodzimierz@kubera.info>, www-validator@w3.org

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:47:35 +0200, Włodzimierz Kubera
<wlodzimierz@kubera.info> wrote:
> Why address
> http://validator.w3.org/check/referer
> is not correct (I click the "Valid XHTL" icon
> and I see an error).
> Something was changed?

Most likely you have starting using a browser or proxy server that
attempts to protect your privacy by either (acceptably) not sending a
referer header, or (breaking the http specification) by sending a nonsense
value for that header. Without the referer header, the validator can not
tell where the user has come from.

Given the increase in the use of such proxies, I think it would be wise to
generate hard coded values for the links in the code sample generated for
valid pages... at least where possible, this couldn't (for instance) be
done for files validated via upload.

--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>