Re: MarkUp Validator's new clothes

On Apr 23, 2004, at 15:47, Terje Bless wrote:
>  Yea or Nay on the right-hand navbar is a question of whether
> all pages should have a consistent look, with consistent navigation and
> header/footer; or whether the symmetry can be traded off against...
> Well, I
> must admit I don't really see what nuking the right-hand navbar will
> actually
> gain you, but... "Something". :-)

"something" being, in my mind at least, more space, less clutter, fewer
not-too-relevant links on each page (esp. for non-css browsers and
screen readers).

> Well, IMO, in that case you can just as well move them to a separate
> "links"
> page (and then pretty much just delete them out of hand as nobody
> checks links
> pages).

[for those not on IRC or following the CVS commits]
We (er, you) eventually did that, which I can live with.
A "links" page would seem a good idea if it did not sound so
pre-search-engine era.

>> Wild idea: use the fact that our top banner image is in B&W and use
>> different stylesheets for  results:invalid. That would allow a much
>> smaller size of text (still necessary I think), along with the Error
>> number maybe (was that what the old design had?)
>
> Ditto. What do you have in mind?

valid -> call the stylesheet with the green banner
invalid -> ditto red banner.
(While keeping the "valid/invalid" text, of course)
other pages : BW banner

Just an idea, though.

--
olivier