Re: (Entire) Site validation

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:42:34 +0100
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
To: Martin Salo <salo@laborint.com>

On 20 Apr 2004, at 15:32, Martin Salo wrote:
> What do you think about an idea to develop a validator that validates
> whole sites, not only pages. It could search for links in pages and
> when a link is in the same domain (a subsection of the page) it
> validates it. It should be limited (to about 200 pages or so) to avoid
> abuse.

Such a validator already exists,
<http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/>, although its limit is 50
pages (a fact which, last week, led me to finally getting around to
setting up the w3c validator locally).

It might be possible to add it to the w3c Markup Validation Service,
perhaps by merging the CheckLink and Validator codebases at some stage
in the future.

I have some concerns about the load this would cause on the w3c server;
it has a rather higher profile then the WDG. What is the load
(bandwidth / CPU) like at present (assuming there are no issues with
making that information public)?

--
David Dorward
      <http://dorward.me.uk/>