Re: MarkUp Validator's new clothes

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:18:35 +0200
To: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

* Terje Bless wrote:
>>Yes, your demo (earlier today) quite convinced me that (at least now
>>that the most important links are in the horizontal top bar) the
>>righthand navbar could be kept only for the homepage, and real-estate
>>reclaimed on other pages, especially results page. So +1 on that, and
>>I'll work on implementing that on our current layout.
>
>I disagree. The navigation should be consistent between all pages on the site;

Yes, we c/should drop it alltogether...

>>Well, the markup validator gives it as a link if valid, in the field to
>>revalidate if not. I suppose consistency wouldn't hurt, though.
>
>Please note that this design is in direct response to a feature request that
>the URL be available and *editable* in the result page to support Revalidate
>with an altered URL.

Which is fine, though you often want to get to the actual page, maybe
because you just got attracted by a Valid Foo badge and have no idea
what all this stuff is about, or you just followed a validator link
in some Usenet posting and want to look at the page to view source.
The prominent top-left take-me-back link helps to accomplish that.

>>I guess something needs to say valid/not. But it does not have to be a
>>big banner, certainly.
>
>The exact styling is debatable, certainly, but please note that the great
>emphasis on the text in question is in direct response to a feature request;
>the original layout made the Valid/Invalid status too difficult to discern at
>a glance.

I guess I commented to that effect, but most likely due to all the noise
preceding the actual results, in the first beta you basically had to
scroll down a page before you got a look at meaningful content, IIRC.