checklink: error codes

From: Tex Texin <tex@xencraft.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 00:58:45 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org
Cc: tex@xencraft.com

Hi,

The checklink tool is very nice. However, I do not understand the cause of some
of the errors detected.
It would be good if the tool provided more information on what the errors mean
or can cause them.

This is especially true when reporting problems for which the link seems to
work.

For example this page
http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/hebrew.html

currently has 2 403 errors on the links to sil.org. However, executing the link
brings up the page just fine.
I tried variations of the URL, but I can't seem to eliminate the error. It
could be something at the server, but I am not sure what to tell the folks at
SIL to do about it, or if I should mention it to them.
What does forbidden mean and if it is so serious why does the page come up?

tia
tex

Code Occurrences What to do
403 2 The link is forbidden! This needs fixing. Usual suspects: a missing
index.html or Overview.html, or a missing ACL.

http://www.sil.org/index.html
What to do: The link is forbidden! This needs fixing. Usual suspects: a missing
index.html or Overview.html, or a missing ACL.

HTTP Code returned: 403
HTTP Message: Forbidden
Line: 98

http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/silhebruni/index.htm
What to do: The link is forbidden! This needs fixing. Usual suspects: a missing
index.html or Overview.html, or a missing ACL.

HTTP Code returned: 403
HTTP Message: Forbidden
Line: 96

Making e-Business Work Around the World