Re: Page Validates, but problems with validator

W.G. Hayes wrote:
> My web page validates, but I had two problems using the validator that I wish to report:
>
> I have a hidden link to http://validator.w3.org/check/referer on my index page and used it when I was ready to validate the page.  I got my index page to validate, but the process was not as automatic as I thought it should be. The validator apparently does not support my URI and I get the W3C page with the error message 1( below).  Even after I entered my URI at the end of http://validator.w3.org/check?uri= in the address bar at the W3C page, I got Error Message 2 (below) saying that it could not find character encoding, even though I have made certain that my method of doing so in a meta tag corresponds to the W3C recommendation.
>
> My URI is http://www.stpetersparish.org/index.php and I suspect that your validator does not support the php extension. Regarding the second problem, the meta tag is <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; iso-8859-1">

The extension should not matter, as long as the server is sending the
correct mime type. Your server seems to be sending text/html as it should.

Also, try changing this:

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; iso-8859-1">

to this:

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

Pete