Re: Page Validates, but problems with validator

On 1 Apr 2004, at 13:45, W.G. Hayes wrote:

> My web page validates, but I had two problems using the validator that
> I wish to report:
>
> I have a hidden link to http://validator.w3.org/check/referer on my
> index page and used it when I was ready to validate the page.  I got
> my index page to validate, but the process was not as automatic as I
> thought it should be. The validator apparently does not support my URI
> and I get the W3C page with the error message 1( below).

Maybe we need a FAQ for this mailing list...
http://www.w3.org/Search/Mail/Public/search?
keywords=Sorry%2C+this+type+of+URI+scheme&hdr-1-name=subject&hdr-1-
query=&index-grp=Public__FULL&index-type=t&type-index=www-validator

>   Even after I entered my URI at the end of
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri= in the address bar at the W3C page,
> I got Error Message 2 (below) saying that it could not find character
> encoding, even though I have made certain that my method of doing so
> in a meta tag corresponds to the W3C recommendation.
>
>  My URI is http://www.stpetersparish.org/index.php and I suspect that
> your validator does not support the php extension.

The extension is irrelevant. This is the web, not MS Windows.

>  Regarding the second problem, the meta tag is <META
> http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; iso-8859-1">

You made a syntax error. See
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/charset.html for the correct
syntax.

--