Bug Report: Invalid code validates correctly

From: Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:25:09 -0500
To: www-validator@w3.org
I have found what I think is an interesting bug in the validator at
http://validator.w3.org/.  The page at
http://www.math.lsu.edu/valid-check.html has an error in it; it is
missing a closing ">" on an A tag.  However, the W3C validator does
not detect this, and declares that the page is valid.  As there is now
an unequal count of tag openings to tag closings, I do not see how
that could be the case.  For reference, the WDG validator will catch
this error (if you go to http://www.math.lsu.edu/wdg-html-validator/
and enter the valid-check URL you can see this), but only if the link
is entered directly (it also declares the page valid if you check by
referer).  The W3C validator will declare the page valid either by
referer or when the page is entered directly.

Please CC me on responses, as I am not subscribed to the list.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.