Re: Custom DTD for case-insensitive ID values ?

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:30:26 -0000
To: www-validator@w3.org

"Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP]" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote in message
news:3F705637.9EF8E759@Rhul.Ac.Uk...
> Problem solved : I have finally worked out how to tweak Dreamweaver 4
> to insert 'type="text/javascript"' as well as 'language="Javascript"'
> (see attached "Script.js" from /Configuration/Objects/Invisibles").
>
> DW still inserts 'language="Javascript"' (or 'language="JavaScript1.1"',
> or 'language="JavaScript1.2"') but as there seems no way to formally
> differentiate these using HTML 4.0 Strict, that seems an acceptable
> price to pay.

Worse than that, it is actively dangerous to include them in any case,
JavaScript1.2 particularly should never be used, as it will lead to
unpredictable results, as certain browsers then choose to use a
non-ECMAScript compliant engine, when others don't, leading to your script
performing differently.

Jim.