The 'target' attribute isn't in the XHTML1.0 Transitional DTD - is it?

From: Black Widow <webmistress@blackwidows.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:18:45 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

The test page at:

<http://www.blackwidows.org.uk/resources/tutorials/xhtml/tar
get-test.html>

is an XHTML1.0 Transitional DTD document that contains the
'target' attribute as part of the <a> element.

It validates. Yet, according to my copy of the XHTML
Transitional DTD (dtd2xml 0.1d ver. 1999-04-0) which I
obtained only recently from W3C, the 'target' attribute
simply isn't listed. It only appears in the XHTML1.0
Frameset DTD.

So, 3 questions:

1. Is 'target' a valid attribute under the XHTML1.0
Transitonal DTD?

2. If the answer to Q1 is "Yes', why isn't it listed in the
above mentioned DTD document?

3. If the answer to Q1 is "No", why isn't the validator
catching it?

I would dearly love to get a definitive answer on this as
there appears to be a great deal of confusion on this
subject "out there" - not because I personally have much
use for 'target' - but because I'm trying to compile an
XHTML1.0 'quick reference' resource that actually gets the
facts right.

Thanks.

Mel

--