Re: error...

Hello Harry,

On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 06:17 Asia/Tokyo, Harry R. Murphy wrote:

> My page validates for W3C XTHML, so I place the valid xhtml image and
> corresponding uri on my page as seen below:
>
> On clicking the image I was redirected to the following url:
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=

As you have seen, /check/referer/ is using a redirect mechanism. This
mechanism uses a "refeRrer" header sent by your browser or other user
agents to know which page the request comes from. Unfortunately, some
"security software" (personal firewalls, your ISP's proxy, etc) remove
this header from your queries when filtering your network traffic,
leaving the Markup Validator without this important piece of
information.

The bad news is that we can't do anything to help you, except suggest
that you could replace "/check/referer/"with
"/check?uri=http://your/web/page" or try to investigate which software
is responsible for removing the HTTP Referer header. The good news is
that this problem is only (well, mostly, as other people may experience
it too) on your client's side and other people clicking on the icon you
added to your page will actually see the proper validation results.

Regards,
--
olivier