Bug found while validating XHTML 1.0 strict

From: Andrew Miller Web Design <webdesign@andrewmillerwebdesign.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:45:30 -0500 (CDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org

(Please copy me on any responses to this mail, as I am not yet on this
mailing list...)

The following line was validated by W3C validator using XHTML 1.0 strict:

<script type="text/javascript"  src="popup.js" />

Correct me if I'm wrong, but <script> always needs a closing tag.
Naturally without the closing tag, many browsers (Opera 6, MSIE 6, etc)
wouldn't display the page.

Once I made the change to:

<script type="text/javascript"  src="popup.js"></script>

The page still validated as XHTML 1.0 strict, and no longer broke
various browsers.

So, is this is a bug in the validator, or does XHTML 1.0 strict truly
not require a closing script tag?

Andrew Miller
PO Box 2194
Iowa City, IA 52244