Re: Validator https problem?

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:00:00 -0400 (EDT)
To: Norbert Veber <nveber@pyre.virge.net>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Norbert Veber wrote:

> I validated my web page manually.  The validator presented me with html
> code which can be inserted into my web site in order in order to display
> the "validated" logo.  I have chosen to do this, but it doesnt seem to
> work.
>
> When I click the logo, it takes me to:
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=
>
> This url just prints out an error saying it doesnt understand the url
> to be validated (which is blank).
>
> I have tried with Mozilla and Internet Exlorer, the same thing happened
> with both.  The web page in question is https://pyre.virge.net/.

Linking to <http://validator.w3.org/check/referer> depends on the browser
to send the Referer header, which browsers generally don't send when
requesting an insecure page from a secure one.

You could instead link to

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https%3A%2F%2Fpyre.virge.net%2F

That the validator recommends using the referer link is a bug.  I'll add
it to Bugzilla shortly.

--
Liam Quinn