Validator not useful when encountering "No DOCTYPE specified" error

From: Roland Seuhs <Roland_Seuhs@hasos.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:02:04 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hi!

Because of a stupid PHP-bug, I had output before the DOCTYPE declaration.
Even though the "Show Source" checkbox was checked, the validator didn't show the source and I couldn't find the error which occurred only when some cookie was not set.

Please, when somebody checks "show source" he wants to see the source, so just show it, even if unsure about the doctype or encoding.
It is much easier to see what is going on when you know what exactly the validator is validating.

Thank you very much,

Roland