RE: Style tag not validated correctly for HTML 4.01

From: Gavin Lambert <gavinl@compacsort.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:37:54 +1300
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

Okay, this makes more sense now, thanks.

Still, shouldn't that sort of thing have produced a warning/error
"Element BASEFONT not allowed here; implicitly inserting tags
</HEAD><BODY> and continuing.", or something like that?  That would have
removed any confusion.

Having tags implicitly inserted in itself is not an error in the page's
HTML, but having it happen because of an illegal element should be
considered an error, I would think, particularly if the goal is to get
people to write "clean" HTML (or HTML-writing software).