Style tag not validated correctly for HTML 4.01

From: Gavin Lambert <gavinl@compacsort.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:22:19 +1300
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

[Please CC any replies directly to me; I am not subscribed to the list]

I just tried the validator at <http://validator.w3.org/check>, and it
seems to have a bug:

I'm doing an HTML 4.01 Transitional validation, and it claims "document
type does not allow element "STYLE" here".

"Here", in this case, being inside the <HEAD> element.  Of course,
according to section 14 of the HTML 4.01 spec, that's where it should
be.

Things just go downhill from there, as the next error I get is "end tag
for element "HEAD" which is not open"; reacting to closing the HEAD
element after closing the STYLE element (which is, I repeat, directly
contained in the HEAD element).

Interestingly if I validate against the HTML 4.01 Strict DTD then I
don't get the first error.  (I get many others, but that's because the
document in question isn't Strict).