Re: Validator misleads content negotiation; prefers CSS

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:01:04 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Ilya Konstantinov <www-validator@future.shiny.co.il>

Hi Ilya,

On Monday, Oct 6, 2003, at 02:39 Asia/Tokyo, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:

> I've noticed a problem with the W3 Validator.

The fact is, the W3C is hosting a number of validators, so we need to
know which validator you are actually talking about. This list is
primarily for the Markup validator, but from what I read below...

> validate a page (not a CSS document), it sends the request as
> user agent "Jigsaw/2.2.0 W3C_CSS_Validator_JFouffa/2.0.",

You seem to be talking about the CSS validator, which is a distinct
service to check stylesheets (standalone, or embedded in HTML).

> I believe prefering text/css over text/html for HTML page validation is
> wrong.

I think this is where you are slightly mistaken. There is nothing wrong
with the CSS validator, which I believe you are using, prefering CSS.
The service to check markup itself is the Markup Validator, at

Could you confirm that if you use this service you don't run into that
kind of trouble?