Wish: DOCTYPE for XHTML + unspecified namespaces

From: Jan Egil Kristiansen <janegil@landsbank.fo>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:55:49 +0000
To: www-validator@w3.org

A standard HTML browser will ignore unknown tags.
I.e.: display the content of the unkown element.

To make usee of that standard, I'd like a DOCTYPE for XHTML + unspecified namespaces, where I could validate that
1) the document is well-formed XML
2) the document would have been valid XHTML if the non-xhtml tags were removed.

Now, if I try to validate a page like http://heima.olivant.fo/~styrheim/tools/geo/nlh.fo.html, the error messages I get, probably imply that the page is well-formed XML. But I get no hint as to whether my 'skeleton' XHTML is valid or not.

I guess I don't need a new DOCTYPE, really. But I coud use a validation that would tell me if the XHTML 'part' of the document is valid.