Re: XHTML: Invalid form tag placement

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Emlyn Addison wrote:

> Jukka, you're a real pleasure.

I don't think we're on a first-name basis, so I take this as an insult.

> I was simply asking whether XHTML markup indeed allows for form
> elements to be split between table cells,

The DTD you use tells that, does it not? (The question is obscure, so you
need to refine your question before finding a useful answer.)

> > Regarding the extra spacing, there is a very simple solution: put form { margin: 0; }
>
> Yet another workaround to prevent the inclusion of meaningless vertical spacing around the already-invisible form element. This does not answer my original question.

The solution I mentioned is not a workaround, since CSS (and not HTML) is
the intended way of making suggestions on the rendering of documents.
Playing with markup just to get visual impression is workarounds, or
hacks, or trickery, or whatever you call it. But this is immaterial in
validation. I was just trying to guess what your real problem was, sorry.

> ...but perhaps the >>>W3C XHTML Validator Forum<<< is the wrong place
> for a question relating to >>>valid XHTML<<<.

You are quite right. A validator is useless to you unless you know, or can
find out, the syntax rules. It's also a wrong place to ask about invalid
XHTML, which is what you actually did.

The validator did what you asked it to do. Too bad if you don't like the
results.