Problem validating an <hr> tag

From: Tony Cervo <TCervo@sanjuan.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:51:27 -0700
To: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>
I have  page that was validating as XHTML 1.0 previously, so I added the
code snippet to include the validation icon.
Someone pointed out it's no longer validating, so I re-checked it and get
this error:

1.	Line 84
hers/index.shtml#line-84> , column 26: the name and VI delimiter can be
omitted from an attribute specification only if SHORTTAG YES is specified

	  <hr width="100%" noshade />

I've looked for information regarding name and VI delimiter with regards to
the <hr> tag, and I'm not finding anything...
Any help?
(Also, why the change? I haven't touched the page, yet it no longer
validates when it previously did...)