XHTML1.1 DTD errata or Validator bug?

From: Jonathan Stanley <jon@lambcutlet.org>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 20:07:09 +0100
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

Hello

As I understand from HTML4 and XHTML1 Strict, the "id" attribute is global,
and can be applied to any element, and indeed, reading through said DTDs and
valdating a test case page where there was an "id=foo" inside the <html>
element, the said page would pass when validated as HTML4 or XHTML1.

However, when the DTD was set to XHTML1.1, the validator will error with:

---
This page is not Valid XHTML 1.1!...  there is no attribute "id".
---

The "highest level" element this seems to be allowed is the <body> tag, but
looking through the XHTML1.1 DTD modules, I cannot accertain whether this is
deliberate on the part of XHTML1.1, it is an errata with the DTD, or whether
it's a bug with regards to the validator?

Thanks.

Jon Stanley