ID 'FOO' already defined

From: Dan Smith <dan.smith@chrometoaster.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:04:44 +1200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hi

I've just used your HTML validation service at http://validator.w3.org/

My page failed to validate because of the following error:

“ID ‘FOO’ already defined”
You have defined the id/name ‘FOO’ more then once. You will also get a
message telling you where it was first defined. Be aware that this
message may be the result of an ambiguity in the specification. While
user-agents must treat values of the id attribute as case-sensitive,
they must still be case-insensitive unique in the document. See Section
12.2.1 Syntax of anchor names in the HTML 4.01 Recommendation for
further information.

The repeated IDs are used to match column headers in the top row of my
table with id'd rows further down, ie:

Is there someway for your validation script to ignore id tags that are
contained within tables, or at least within <td> tags?

Cheers

Dan Smith

dansmith | webproduction
chrometoaster