Re: validator-bug

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>* Aubrey Jaffer wrote:
>

>>My reading of HTML-3.2 is that <A NAME="cindex_>">
>>must instead be <A NAME="cindex_&#62;">.

Maybe this will make it clearer ... the html parser
"sees" the < sign, starts looking for a > sign to go
with it, but then sees a ", so starts looking for
another ", doesn't even notice the next > because
it's in search of a ", finds the ", and then switches
back to looking for a >, which it finds immediately.

The standards here are effectively just syntax rules
to make certain every "valid" string can be
interpreted unambiguously.  dcb

PS Notice, in the paragraph you cited, that neither
< nor > may occur in an attribute value unless the
value is enclosed in quotes. Again, this rule is
intended to make the html unambiguous.